Monday, August 14, 2006

24 Hours

My wife is finishing up her M.Div. requirements by serving as a hospital chaplain intern for 10 hours a week. She is also working several Teaching Assistant jobs, writing articles for publication, and even co-writing a book with one of our professors, all in preparation for Ph.D. studies in another year. Needless to say, her schedule is very tight. When an emergency came up late last week, all of this had to take a back seat so that she could deal with the emergency, which now monopolized her time.

Friday night, I wanted to do something nice for my wife to help alleviate some of the stress. So I found a coupon for a nice restaurant that we had not tried out previously, and decided to go out and relax. We had a very nice meal.

Unfortunately, our relaxation was almost totally destroyed when I discovered that I had forgotten my wallet at the restaurant. Although we returned to the restaurant within the hour, they were unable to locate my wallet at that time.

For the next 24 hours, I spent my time canceling my credit cards, looking into how I would replace my driver's license, and mostly feeling very vulnerable and powerless. And I prayed. A lot.

Thankfully, I got a call late the following evening informing me that the restaurant had located my wallet. I returned to retrieve it Sunday morning, and verified that all of my cards were intact (there was no cash in my wallet at all the evening I lost it, so any thief would have needed the cards to get anything of value). Although I now have to wait for replacement cards, I can now drive legally, and generally feel much better. And although my wife still has a few details to work out left over from last week, things are rapidly returning to normal for her, as well.

But what a difference 24 hours makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...