Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What?

Yesterday was my birthday, and I can't hear as well I could last week.

Well, it's not that I'm actually LOSING my hearing. Rather, construction started on a new library at the seminary, and I happen to have the office that is arguably closest to the main construction of anyone. Thankfully, the seminary is providing earplugs.

While the earplugs do an "ok" job of cutting out the sounds of jackhammers and drills, I can't listen to my David LaMotte CDs. Believe it or not, I actually tried. Without changing my CD players volume above it's usual level, I couldn't hear the music at all. Not muffled. Not unintellible. Couldn't hear it at all.

Construction looks to continue for the next month.

Thankfully, I don't record the podcast from here, or the project would be doomed before I've barely even started it....


In unrelated news, I seem to have been tagged with the recent "book meme" that's been going around the blogosphere lately. Oh, why not?

1. One book that changed your life:
This kind of question is always hard to give a straight answer to. I feel it's a bit of a cop-out (and more than a little fundamentalist-sounding) to simply answer "The Bible," as true of an answer as that may be. There are a few other possibilities, but I think I'll go with The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. It's a children's mystery that was first read to me in fifth grade, and every day, after a new section had been read to us, I'd tell my sister (who is one year younger than me) what had happened as we walked home together. If we weren't already bookworms by then, that certainly helped make us so (although, compared to many people in and around my life these days, I'm not really that much of a bookworm at all these days).

2. One book that you've read more than once:
The aforementioned Westing Game certainly applies, but let's pull out Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I continue to pull off the shelf from time to time (most recently so that I could write this parody for my seminary).

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Hmmmm. Is there a book called How to Survive on a Desert Island? Not being aware of such, let's say a compendium version of Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire Star Wars trilogy. (Although, to be fair, I don't know if such a "3-in-1" version is out there, either.)

4. One book that made you laugh:
Just one? I think I'll go with Faith, Hope and Hilarity, a collection of church-related incidents involving children collected by Dick Van Dyke that I picked up cheap a few years ago at a used book sale, only to learn later that the book had actually been signed by Dick Van Dyke himself!

5. One book that made you cry:
As with most of these categories, there are quite a few of these, too.... Let's go with the latest book in the Harry Potter series, The Half-Blood Prince, when a major character is killed off (in case you've successfully avoided being spoiled about the identity of this character so far, I'll not ruin it now).

6. One book that you wish had been written:
How to Buy Transformers for Cheap and Sell Them for More Than You Paid for Them. :)

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Oooh, that's a bit tougher. Even books I dislike, I'd generally not wish this upon. However, I think I'll go with Left Behind simply because of the irrational following it's garnered, causing more harm to the reputation of Christianity than (I'm sure) the authors intended.

8. One book you're currently reading:
Letter and Spirit by Protestant-turned-Catholic scholar Scott Hahn, given to me as a Christmas present by my Catholic brother-in-law. It looks to be an interesting reflection on the nature of God's work through God's word.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
As much as I love Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion, I'm just having an awful time slogging through Homegrown Democrat. Not sure if it's that he's too far left for me, or just that his humor translates better to radio....

10. Now tag five people:
Sorry. I won't do this one. While I don't mind having this kind of meme sent to me, I don't believe that it's appropriate to send such things to people blindly. (Besides, most of the people I'd send it to have already gotten it, it would seem!) It's kind of like the old chain-mail thing: "Pass this on to 5 people or something terrible will happen to you!" I'll take the risk. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...