Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Pomp and Circumstance

One of the benefits of my job is that, from time to time, I get to be a "fly on the wall" when one of our professors is honored or promoted. We recently promoted a professor, and we had the requisite luncheon in his honor, where friends and collegues had the opportunity to talk about what a great guy he is, and on occasion to engage in some good natured roasting. These are always very enjoyable events, and I consider it a rare privilege to have been able to sit in on so many of them in the past five years.

In the midst of all the ceremony, the fact shines through that these theologians, these professors who've studied far more than I'll ever study, can speak more languages than I can name, and have written more books than I'm likely to write, are still, at the core of it all, people. These are men and women who I've had to opportunity to get to know over a period of time, many of whom I can begin to call friends. It is truly a pleasure not only to see them honored at these times, but also to see a little deeper into just what kind of people God has made them to be. It's truly been a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...