Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Dangers of Instant Communication

In this age of instant communication, it doesn't take long to realize that there are times when the ability to say anything one wants at any time can be too easily abused. I'm actually not talking about the phenomenon of anonymity, and the apparent effect that has on people saying rude things they'd never say if people knew who they were. However, there's plenty of evidence that this is a problem, too. (See this Slacktivist entry for a recent example.) I'm actually talking about some recent exchanges that occurred between me and two people who know exactly who I am: my two siblings.

In two separate instances in the same morning, one by chat and one by e-mail, I had managed to get into arguments with each of them, over what can only be described as incredibly trifling matters. This resulted in my mood becoming dramatically darker by lunchtime.

I can offer few excuses for why all this happened. Certainly my family (of which I am most definitely a part) does not shy away from arguments. We tend to "have it out" quickly and make up just as quickly. I also have a heavy tendency to try to be "right" in most situations, even if I actually don't know as much about what I'm talking about as I'd like to have people think (no doubt that will become clear to readers of this blog who may disagree with my opinions). But once something's said, it isn't always easy to just "take it back" and have things go back to normal again.

All I can do is offer my apologies (as I have done to each of my siblings), and endeavor to be more open to reasoned disagreement in the future. This is not the first time I've felt the need to rededicate myself in this way. I'm sure it won't be the last. With God's help, I can at least hope that through all the stumbles, I will actually make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...