Thursday, October 20, 2005

An odd realization

As my church continues its year-long "journey through the Bible," we've finally gotten to the New Testament. As I opened my Bible to read from the gospel of Mark (as per the readings suggested to follow along with this process), I came to the strangest realization for a seminarian to have.

I miss Jesus.

We've spent the entire year up to this point dealing with the Old Testament. That's actually a good thing, and I've long been of the opinion that many Christian churches do not pay enough attention to the Old Testament. But while we've definitely talked about these readings with the perspective of a people to whom the New Testament is already a given reality, and we've talked a lot about Jesus in relation to Christian holidays such as Easter when the proper season has come, we haven't spent any time with New Testament readings in church. We haven't spent any time talking about the story of Jesus in particular.

I hadn't realized how much I'd missed that. I'm glad to be back in the New Testament again.

1 comment:

  1. I miss Jesus also.

    Good post, good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...