Friday, October 14, 2005

Update on eye examination

My apologies for the more-sporadic-than-usual posting schedule of late. I think it's reasonably obvious that it's been a fairly hectic time. Anyway, I did see the ophthalmologist again yesterday. Basically, he says the eye looks the same. He describes a "milky white" shape that indicates that the retina is "just a bit 'out'" (i.e. partially detached). He is referring me to get a second opinion from another ophthalmologist, and I should get a letter telling me who some time soon. I will then need to make yet another appointment for a examination before any definitive decision or action is taken.

And so the saga continues.... Perhaps the oddest part of this whole ordeal is my increasing familiarity with the process of having my eye dilated. For those of you who've never had this experience, let me explain. The eye doctor puts a couple of eyedrops in your eye to cause the iris to open up. Basically, this stings for only a few seconds, but after putting the drops in, you have to wait for about 10 minutes while the drops do their work. This is all so that the eye doctor can get a clear, unobstructed view into your eye. In the case of the past two ophthalmologist visits, when the doctor returns, he takes what is basically a jeweler's magnifying glass, and screws it into your eye (at least, that's about what it feels like!) to both hold your eyelid open and also to give him and even clearer view of the inside of your eye. Needless to say, this always leaves my eye feeling just a bit odd afterward. It's not exactly painful, but it's definitely uncomfortable.

After this, I'm pretty much allowed to get on with my day, except that with my iris all opened up, my eye is especially sensitive to light, so I need to either cover the eye up, or wear dark sunglasses for the next few hours (this is more important outside than indoors). I haven't done it yet, but I've been tempted to pick up a patch and walk around like a pirate for the next few hours. Hey, it's Halloween season, right?

Not only am I unusually sensitive to light, but in cases like my last few visits, one eye is dilated while the other remains normal. This makes reading a bit more difficult than usual as it becomes difficult to focus on fine details. I've also been advised against driving in this condition, for obvious reasons. And there are very few sights more unusual than seeing one's own reflection in the mirror with one pupil larger than the other....

All in all, I can't complain, but I'll certainly be glad when this whole ordeal is over.

Prayers are still appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...