Thursday, December 15, 2005

Filler material: Church and State

I've been suffering from a bit of writer's block lately. Maybe it's just the needs of the Christmas season taking precedence.

I'm still reading quite a bit, though, and keeping up on current events. Here's a blog entry I came across today that deals with an issue I've been aware of, but haven't commented on here: the possibility that All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena, CA might have its tax-exempt status removed because of a sermon given prior to the 2004 Presidential election that was deemed (by the right wing) to have crossed the lines into advocacy.

Part of the reason I haven't commented is because I'm not sure where I stand on this issue of this church. I actually do think they "go political" more often than is appropriate, and often in the wrong ways. But it's not my congregation, and so I'm probably not fully equipped to say. I only know what I read about. On the other hand, I'm convinced that they're being unfairly targeted by the right because their politics tend to be more liberal. That's just wrong.

I invite you to read the article. Whatever else is true, I certainly agree that if our faith means anything, it calls us to action in making this world a better place, and that includes the political arena. And the ways in which our faith call us to action are most likely not the ways usually advocated by the political right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...