Tuesday, February 21, 2006

So I'm not the only one!

My wife loves Starbucks coffee. Not being a coffee-drinker myself, I admit that it's a bit hard to relate to this. Not only do I wonder why someone would want to pay 2-to-3 times as much money as normal for a cup of coffee, but I wonder about Starbucks' nomenclature for drink sizes. The smallest possible size is called "Tall," the medium size is "Grande," and the largest size is "Venti."

When we were on our honeymoon, we stopped by a coffee shop (decidedly not Starbucks!) in Vancouver that had an old Doonesbury comic posted. It complained that these drink-size names were "misleading, counterintuitive, and pretentious," respectively. We both thought this was one of the truer statements ever said about the odd size names.

I think Burger King's doing Doonesbury one better with its current line of "Joe" coffee. Among its in-store advertisements is the following: "Available in three easy-to-pronouce sizes: Small, Medium, and Large."

Gotta love truth in advertising!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...