Monday, May 01, 2006

Latest G2 Auction Value, plus BOTCON!

The G2 Streetwise auction is over. Final value: $2125. A bit higher than I expected. For those keeping track, that's a total of $7000 for the three auctions done so far. And yes, the same guy won again....

But I've got bigger fish to fry today! Friday afternoon, further details for BotCon, the official Transformers Convention, were released, including the names of the characters in the 5-figure box set that comes with the full convention package.

Most Transformers fans are aware that this year is the 10th Anniversary of the "Beast Wars" series that pulled the Transformers franchise from near extinction (for a second time) after "Generation Two" failed to sell as well as expected. (This is why the G2 Protectobots and Stunticons were never released, in fact, explaining the ultra-rarity of the toys I've been following on eBay this past month and a half.) To celebrate this 10th Anniversary, the Botcon set intends to reveal five of the original "Beast Wars" characters in "pre-Beast Wars" forms. These characters are: Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Rattrap, Rhinox, and Dinobot. Pictures have not been revealed.

Convention exclusive toys are always repaints or remolds of existing Transformers toys. This is done to keep costs (which are already very high) down to a manageable level. Also, we've been told that each toy will come with a "Golden Disk Key" which sounds a lot like the "Cyber Planet Key" that the current Cybertron toys on the shelves come with (some folks have suggested this could refer to an "Energon chip" such as came with the Energon toys of a couple of years ago, but I'm not convinced). That gives us some room to speculate on which existing toys could be recolored and remolded to resemble which character. People have been photoshopping ideas for almost a year now (hoping that FP would do something like this), but this idea is one of the best I've seen so far. (EDIT: Actually, I like this one even better, but couldn't locate the picture when I originally wrote this post.)

So now the question is, do I go or don't I? I've been saving, bit by bit, so that I have nearly enough to cover the cost of registration (including these toys), but I still have to pay for travel. Time will tell. If you're interested, you can see some TF and other items I'm trying to sell to clear out some stuff I don't need and raise a small bit of cash.

3 comments:

  1. Absolute insanity. I mean, I know it's rare and all... but it's still a toy. A little plastic toy.

    ...

    I'm so jealous!

    (just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did they have to produce limited g2 protectobots? my oh my..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in a real sense, they didn't. I explain a bit more here, but basically, Hasbro was going to produce these toys, and then decided not to, so only about a dozen pre-production copies actually exist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...