Thursday, May 11, 2006

More on Immigration

When I wrote an article on immigration for the seminary newsletter a few weeks ago, the Senate debate was foremost in my mind, and the limited word count dictated that I try to focus my remarks as tightly as possible. Still, I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not think of the quote from Leviticus 19:34, "The foreigners residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

It took reading a recent article by Slacktivist to remind me of those words. I invite you to check out his comments, although I warn you that they will definitely be controversial. For a clue as to why, I'll simply suggest that he's connected the hospitality advocated in this Leviticus passage to the tale told in Genesis 19:1-29, and has drawn some rather interesting conclusions....

In related news, it's reassuring to see that the Senate has finally agreed to re-open the immigration issue (which has been stalled since before I wrote the newsletter article).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...