Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Really Important Distinctions

My friend over at Ekballō mentioned this short article by Michael Harrington today. In it, Harrington suggests that the political divide that currently creates such a huge gulf between Americans is best described, not in terms of "red states" and "blue states," but rather by three categories: "urbans vs. nonurbans; marrieds vs. nonmarrieds; and absolutists vs. contextualists".

I'm inclined to agree. But whereas Harrington suggests that framing the debate in this way may help us to have more productive dialogue on divisive matters, I'm not so optimistic. Perhaps my cynicism is higher at the moment after writing yesterday's post suggesting that the Board of Declaration be done away with. Whether that's true or not, it certainly is the case that I grow increasingly weary of all the fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...