Monday, July 30, 2007

My Dad's 1930 Model A Ford: The Car That's Always Been There...

As I get older, I've been reflecting on the fact that there are fewer and fewer things that I can lay claim to as having always been a part of my life. I expect that this is true of most people. Because I traveled around so much while in Elementary School, there isn't a particular "family home" that's always been a place to return to (well, if we count my extended family in Placerville, there are couple of options). Although I can certainly include both of my parents as having "always" been there, I can't count my siblings, since I'm older than they are.

But, still, there are a few things that have always been a part of my life in some form or another. I was reflecting the other day on the fact that my Dad's 1930 Ford Model A Sports Coupe is one of those things.

This vehicle has an interesting history, but I must confess that I know nothing of the car's original owners, or how it came to its then-current state (being used as a buzzsaw!) before my Dad found it in the late 1960s, while he was still in high school. But once my Dad got the car, he started work restoring it. This was the car that he and my mom went on most of their dates with, that they drove away from their wedding in, and in which, some time later, I was transported from the hospital just after I was born. (Yes, this was definitely the era before mandatory child-safety seats! Model As don't even have seat belts!)

My Dad's had the 1930 Sports Coupe for just shy of 40 years, pretty much half of the vehicle's existence. Whereas once it was nearly forgotten, being used as an overgrown power-tool rather than a vehicle, it is now well maintained, and is often used in parades and Model A shows. My Dad also has another Model A Ford, a 1929 4-door Town Sedan, which he completed restoration on in the 1980s. He and my mom drove both of these cars to a Model A celebration in Virginia this past month, and they continue to attract attention wherever they go.

4 comments:

  1. seat-belts schmeat-belts...

    Nick used to ride around in the packing tray. :)

    And never forget...

    "Mommy, Nick got out!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A note to my other readers: My sister alludes to tales that really need fuller expansion at another time. Suffice it to say, laws requiring child safety seats did not yet exist when we were children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool! Yep, I recall riding in an early version of a car seat in the front seat, but back in the rumbleseat it was "wind in my hair" time!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that story. Bad Nick! This is awesome. Well done, Mark.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...