Wednesday, December 05, 2007

It's Finals Time Again!

It's the middle of Finals Week here at Fuller, which means that students are taking exams, turning in papers, or otherwise scrambling to take care of last-minute business before the deadline of 5:00 on Friday that signals the absolute end of the quarter (unless, of course, the student has filed the paperwork for an "Incomplete" with the Registrar).

It's not the first time I've written on the subject, of course. Here are links to some of my previous comments, in chronological order. Of course, nothing I say here should be taken as superseding anything a professor may have placed on his/her syllabus. The syllabus is always the final authority! However, since I find that so many students have questions about what to do with their assignments that aren't answered on the syllabus, I try to provide such information as I can. If you're not a Fuller student, you can safely ignore today's post. If you're still reading, I'll assume that this information might be of use to you.

First off, although it's redundant to say so, make sure you put not only your name (you'd be surprised how many people forget that part!), but also your professor's name (as well as the name and number of the course) on the paper. This will help me to know where to file your paper so that the proper professor or TA can pick it up at the end of the week.

Since Fuller is a bit spread out, with lots of potential places where a student could turn in papers, many students are understandably confused as to where to turn in their work. Again, check the syllabus first, since not all work comes to me. I don't take any papers for courses taught by adjuncts, for example, nor do I take papers for Fuller schools other than the School of Theology. If you've been asked to turn your paper in to "Mark Baker-Wright," that's me! Come to the second floor of Payton Hall and look for the sign seen in the picture. The arrow points directly into my office. If for whatever reason I'm not here (I often have to run errands elsewhere on campus, delivering mail and other items to professors and such), you can slide the paper under my door (do double-check to see that it's something that really does come to me, of course!) or wait until I'm back (I generally have the time I expect to return posted on the door).

I also have students come by looking to pick up some assignment or another. In that event, it will be helpful if you tell me what class you're looking for before telling me who you are! You'll see a wall full of papers, which I organize by professor. Once I know what class I'm looking for, the rest is fairly easy, but I haven't even figured out where to start if all I know is the student's name! Unfortunately, even then I may discover that your professor or TA hasn't given me your assignment. If that applies to you, you'll need to tell your professor or TA that you've been by, and that I didn't have it. Generally, I don't know anything further about the papers, since I don't tend to even be told that they're coming until they've actually arrived, nor do I have anything to do with the grading process.

Finals Week is always a hectic time for all concerned. But it's also a chance for me to see a lot of friends that I may not get to chat with while stuck in my office all the time. If you don't have to run to the next deadline (a real possibility!), feel free to say "hi!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...