Coincidental Artistry
One of the wonders of the Internet Age is the fact that people have the ability to engage in personal conversation with the actual celebrities behind many of their interests. Even though I doubt that many of them would remember who I am (since we haven't actually met in person), I've been able to ask questions directly of quite a few different writers, scholars, and artistic creators, and know that they were responding to my personal inquiry.
One question I see often in these kinds of venues is whether or not a "celebrity" would be willing to read some work written by a fan, or help a fan get some work of art published. I expect most such celebrities get a bit tired of these requests, but they usually respond with a polite but firm "no," and a suggestion to send such works through the proper channels (whatever those may be for a given piece).
Besides the amount of time that would be lost if people accepted each (or even some) work that was offered, there is a very good legal reason why celebrities and creators cannot generally accept fan submissions: if a similar work ever showed up later, the original creator might sue for intellectual property theft. This might happen even if the later work didn't actually have the original work in mind (and I'm not talking about some "subconscious" memory either), and was just a coincidence. Figuring out where an original concept came from can get rather messy, and it's generally considered best not to even get involved.
Still, it remains a fun thing to talk about all these years later. I guess great minds really do think alike! ;)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home