Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Things I've Done Meme

Found this on Julie Clawson's blog, which also linked to a version at CuppaJaveWithFriends. Basically, this is a list of 100 things. These 100 things should be the same on every blog using this meme. If you've actually done the thing listed, put it in bold. The parentheticals are personal notes, but I notice that both of the other blogs kept the parenthetical on the first one, and I think it's appropriate to keep that going here, too.

If you like the idea, and want to do it on your own blog, feel free. Please also feel free to leave a comment here so folks will know where to find your list!

1. Started your own blog (duh)
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band (just chorus)
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity (Hmm, what does it mean to "afford" it? Given my income, I could argue that anything I give is more than I can afford. Still, I'm not sure I can mark this one in good conscience)
7. Been to Disneyland (my wife and I actually had annual passes back when we were engaged, and went often!)
8. Climbed a mountain (heh, I pretty much went to college on a mountain!)
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo (a solo?)
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning (bad chicken quesadilla!)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables (do herbs count?)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (I'm tempted to highlight this, as I've occasionally taken a sick day when I knew that I could function if I went to work, but I honestly feel that any sick days I've ever taken, it's because my health has not been what it's supposed to be, and that I would make myself worse if I tried to "push through")
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb (seen quite a few up close and personal, as recently as a few weeks ago, even. But I don't think I've ever held one)
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (which ancestors? How long ago? I'm guessing seeing the place my Grandma grew up isn't enough)
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing (not the way I expect they mean it...)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (I've given strangers coupons, but that's not really the same thing)
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (although not for any context one would normally assume from such a statement. This was for a youth group worship service.)
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing (well, yeah, but I didn't fish much, and get pretty seasick...)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class.
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (But Samoas are absolutely wonderful!)
62. Gone whale watching (does seeing a whale while on a cruise count?)
63. Got flowers for no reason (am translating "got" as "so I could give to someone," not "received")
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check (it's been quite a while, thankfully)
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (saved from what? I still have lots of them, though. Heck, anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that!)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades (Toured? I don't think so. I think I may have been at the edges some 25 years ago, though, when I lived in Florida)
75. Been fired from a job (just a private tutoring job, and that word was never used, but since it wasn't at my initiative, I think it counts)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (how fast does it have to be going to count as "speeding"?)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car (I don't think I'll ever do this, when good quality used cars can be had so much more inexpensively!)
83. Walked in Jerusalem (my wife has! Just this past year!)
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (I don't recall... If I have, it was almost certainly when I was a child.)
85. Read the entire Bible (I actually may have done, but I certainly haven't done so front-to-back, and I don't keep a log of my reading most of the time, so I think I'll leave this one unchecked)
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life (I'm tempted to count the person who told me she accepted Christ through my children's sermons, but that just doesn't feel like it would be in the spirit of the intent, here)
90. Sat on a jury (not quite. Was up for the possibility only a month ago)
91. Met someone famous (I'm told I shook Buddy Ebsen's hand as an infant. I definitely met George Takei and John DeLancie on separate occasions, though. And, depending on how one defines "famous," a lot of the professors I work with regularly should qualify, especially this guy!)
92. Joined a book club (in fact, depending on how one defines this, you could argue I'm involved in one right now)
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person (didn't get to see the basement, though) ;)
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a mobile phone
99. Been stung by a bee (my brother has, though!)
100. Read an entire book in one day (several, although not recently. One does wonder if there should be a minimum threshold for answering this one, but I'm confident I've met any reasonable threshold)


I think I'm counting a mere 37 of 100 on this....

2 comments:

  1. the whole "bad chicken quesadilla!" made me smile, it sounded like you were saying "bad dog!" anyway, thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that was at least mildly intentional. Or, at least I was aware of it when I did it, which may be closer to the truth....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...