Monday, October 12, 2009

I Hate Columbus Day!

If you're at all like me, you may not have realized that today is Columbus Day.  Not, at least, until you tried to get something done, only to be reminded that you couldn't get it done because the agency that you needed to work with isn't available on Columbus Day.  For me, I was trying to send in a receipt to my Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), so that I might have a little extra money to tide things over before the next pay day.  Even if things go well, it takes about a week for these things to process, and so I was trying to get things moving sooner rather than latter.

Then I found the notice on the FSA's web page: "Forms will not be processed on October 12, 2009, due to the Columbus Day holiday."

Why do we even continue to "celebrate" (and I use the term loosely) Columbus Day, anyway?  It's been long-established that he didn't actually discover the new world (and we certainly don't celebrate Leif Ericson day*), and the vast majority of us still have to go to work or school.  The only groups that actually do seem to get the day off are the banks, the post office, and other organizations that the rest of us actually depend on to get stuff done.

I'm apparently not the only person opposed to the celebration of Columbus Day, but I really don't care about the political reasons given there.  I just resent not being able to do what I need to do because of a holiday that routinely comes without warning, and doesn't actually provide any of the actual benefits that a holiday is supposed to provide.  At least give me the day off, for crying out loud!

*Actually, Wikipedia says we do celebrate Leif Erikson Day (Note the alternate spelling of Ericson's name, as Wikipedia has it, specifically in regard to the day), but since I've never ever heard of it, I think I can safely say, "No, I don't!"

1 comment:

  1. Columbus sucks! Leif Erikson for life!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...