Friday, October 29, 2010

We'll Know Soon

There really hasn't been much to say since it was announced last year that the TNIV would be discontinued in favor of an updated version of the NIV.  I still regret deeply that decision, and have strong doubts about whether the new version of the NIV will retain the TNIV's commitment to avoid gender exclusive language where it is clear that the original intention of a passage wasn't to speak to males only.

We'll see soon whether or not those fears have been founded.  Zondervan has announced that the new NIV will be available for online viewing on November 1st.  I know I'll be looking with interest.

2 comments:

  1. So, have you had a chance to look at NIV2010 yet? What do you think? I don't see much of a difference, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm considering a more complete write-up when I have more of a chance, but preliminary investigations are encouraging. As you note, they didn't change as much as might have been feared, and I'd go so far as to say the new NIV is closer to the TNIV than to the old NIV. There are a few instances I've seen already where gender language was pulled back to something more traditional, but nothing that's struck me as non-negotiable. I'm still giving the new NIV a chance.

    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...