Monday, November 14, 2011

What Do You Miss?

Country music singer Trace AdkinsI admit that I don't really follow Country and Western music. That's probably why it took the first celebrity version of The Apprentice to introduce me to one of Trace Adkin's most popular songs: "You're Gonna Miss This," which he sang at the live season-ending event, and for which recordings were made available to support the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network, a charity important to Adkins because his daughter suffers from such allergies. I was impressed by the song, thought the charity worth supporting, and so it now shows up regularly when I set my iPod to "shuffle." (I wish I could link to the specific version of the song that supported the charity, but I have been unable to locate it in iTunes.)

The song tells of a young woman who, in various mundane times of her life, is ready to move on to the next thing, and the other person in the room with her encourages her to enjoy the moment.  The lyrics of the chorus should give a pretty idea of the basic message:
You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this
When I think of the things that I miss from my past, there are a few things that come readily to mind (many of which I've covered in other entries on this blog, so I won't go into them here). Some of these were things that I actually knew would be significant even back then, because they were especially enjoyable or otherwise notable in the sense of being a moment that I understood wouldn't come again.

But thinking about those times that I miss now, but which I didn't understand would be important back then, is actually a bit harder. It's not so much that I think the song is incorrect. In fact, I don't think that at all. But, rather, it takes something to trigger such memories as often as not. For example, another song that came up in a recent session with my iPod was "Time to Remember" (which itself is appropriate to this basic idea, but that's just a coincidence) as sung by Roger Whittaker. For those of you who haven't heard of Whittaker, he was much more popular in the '70s and '80s than today, and my mom, in particular, has always enjoyed his albums. When "Time to Remember" was starting to play, I didn't recognize what song it was at first, but because of the distinctive sound of Whittaker whistling the melody, I knew immediately that it was him, and was taken back to my childhood (seriously, this guy can whistle like no one else I've ever heard. If you don't believe me, head on over to this link and listen to a sample of his classic, Whistle Stop).

What "triggers" bring you back to times that you miss?

2 comments:

  1. Anything that reminds me of my dad. It could be a song, movie, a toy or something entirely different. My dad was my best friend growing up and he is sorely missed.

    I have distinct memories of my dad taking me to Charleston, SC to tour Fort Sumter and the aircraft carrier...or the Micro Machines he bought from me at Toys R Us (which was a big deal b/c he didn't spend much on us outside of Christmas). Old country like the Oak Ridge Boys or the Andy Griffith show also trigger those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the Oak Ridge Boys. They used to come out for a concert at the KY State Fair every year, and we got to see them several times. Yet another "trigger" memory. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...