The Writing of Romans
The Writing of Romans
by Mark Baker-Wright
Setting: A house in Corinth
Paul: I’m bored. I think I’ll write a letter…
Those Romans need help. I’ll write them.
Tertius: No. I’m bored, too. You tell me what you want to say, and I’ll write it.
Timothy: Make sure to say “Hi” for me!
Gaius: Now, look here! This is my house you guys are staying at! I want in on this, too!
Paul: All right. Say “Hi” from Timothy and Gaius. Now, what do I want to tell these folks? It has to be something very profound, you know. People are going to be reading my letters for centuries.
Timothy: Tell them not to be so hard on their non-Jews. Folks treat me like dirt because of my dad.
Paul: Oh, come on, Tim. Everyone at Lystra always said good things about you.
Timothy: Yeah, sure. But they never let me in on the worship services because I “wasn’t circumcised.”
Paul: Well, that’s not a problem now.
Timothy: Yeah, but that’s not the point. They didn’t care about me. They just wanted me to follow their stupid rules.
Paul: Okay, you’ve made your point. I’ll them to treat their Gentiles better.
Gaius: And make sure to tell them about grace, too. A whole lot of folks around here are starting to get some pretty bad attitudes. Just last Sunday we had an argument over a guy bragging that he helped out at ten homeless shelters last year.
Paul: All right. By the time I’m through with this letter, everyone will feel so worthless that they won’t have any choice but to submit to grace.
Tertius: But make sure that they don’t get the idea that everything is okay, and that no one needs to change anything. We’ve got enough of a problem with that here without letting the Romans act like that!
Paul: Don’t worry, Tertius. I won’t.
Quartus: Hey, guys! What’cha doing?
Timothy: Oh, hi, Quartus.
Paul: We’re writing a letter to the church in Rome. Do you have anything you want me to tell them?
Quartus: A letter? Oh, cool! Tell them to keep their chins up! Things won’t be bad forever!
Paul: Sure thing. Of course, they don’t know the first thing about suffering. Let them walk around in my shoes for a while.
Timothy: Now, Paul. I thought we’d agreed not to complain about that.
Phoebe: And make sure to talk about the salvation of the elect.
Paul: Is the whole town in this room?
Erastus: What’s all the commotion in here?
Gaius: Greetings, commissioner Erastus! We’re writing a letter to the church in Rome.
Erastus: Bully good! The church has done wonders for this community! We’re finally starting to clean up this town!
Paul: (to himself) But we’ve got a loooong way to go.
Tertius: Okay, guys. Now, how are we going to get this to Rome?
Paul: I won’t be there for a long time yet. I’ve got to make a lot of stops on my way to Spain.
Timothy: People need me here.
Gaius: This church won’t hold together if don’t make the refreshments for next week’s service.
Quartus: Don’t look at me! No one’s ever going to hear about me again!
Phoebe: Some men! I’ll deliver the letter! You guys would probably get lost watching the games, anyway.
Paul: Great! Now that we’ve taken care of that, did we say “Hi” from everyone?
Voice: YOU MISSED ONE.
Paul: Oh, thanks. (to Tertius) Make sure to mention God in there, too.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home