Friday, April 29, 2011

Post-Easter Meanderings

For many who work in churches (especially heads of staff), it is traditional to take the week immediately following Easter as a vacation time. Especially for churches that do special worship events for Lent, the reasons for this should be obvious: the church staff has just finished a prolonged period (a month and a half or more) planning more, or at least more intensive, worship events than is usual for the rest of the year, and it's time for a break.

My job doesn't afford me that kind of a break at this particular time, but having spent last week writing up that series on Holy Week, I was ready to take a few days off where I could do so, and since the blog is the one aspect of my life where I can safely say I'm my own boss... well, let's just say that's why there haven't been any new entries since Easter.

So, what have I been up to? At Fuller, things have hardly slowed down. We finished up with the Payton Lectures a couple of weeks ago, but we're still taking care of paperwork for that, and we're starting to get ready for graduation and summer courses already. We did take a bit of time off yesterday for a staff convocation that honors staff members who've served the Fuller community for prolonged amounts of time. It was at this event where the fact that I've worked here for 10 years was given official recognition. Thanks to all those who took the opportunity to extend their congratulations. I appreciate it.

More personally, I finally got myself an e-reader. This is something I'd been thinking to do for a long time. I didn't want to get the Amazon Kindle, mostly because I wanted the option of supporting those who make e-books available outside of Amazon's system (nothing against Amazon, so much as I didn't want only to shop with them). The Barnes and Noble "Nook" has been more and more appealing in recent months, and when I saw an opportunity to get a refurbished model for a significant reduction in price, I took it. It arrived yesterday, and I've already figured out how to put my own images on the device. Long time readers may recognize the image here as part of the Nicodemus Legend archive I referenced almost exactly a year ago.

Anyway, my apologies to everyone who missed my posts over the past week. I'll be back with more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...