Friday, April 20, 2012

Secret Parking Space

Those of us who have been connected to Fuller for any length of time know that parking has been a perennial problem. It's not terribly uncommon to come to campus, find there isn't any space in the first lot you arrive at, and while attempting to leave to try one of the other lots, pass by at least one or two other cars about to make the same discovery.

It should therefore come as no surprise that the parking situation is an easy target for jokes and parodies. I shared one some time back that was performed at a "Fuller Follies" event, and the parody I'm sharing today was originally written at about that same time, with the help of my wife.

The song on which this parody is based, In the Secret (In the Quiet Place), is perhaps a little old now. I haven't actually heard it during worship in several years at this point. I am therefore not only including a link to the lyrics, but a link to a video so you can hear the tune. Honestly, the original song almost works as a parody of itself, as there is no explicit reference to God at all. Just implicit ones, and if one doesn't read this song with a religious understanding already in place, it sounds an awful lot like a stalker talking.

But this post isn't about that oddity, but rather about the parking parody, so here we go:

(FYI, Claremont is a town roughly 30 miles from Pasadena. A longish commute, to be sure, but one that is not by any means unheard of among our professors and students)

Secret Parking Space
By Mark and Michelle Baker-Wright

There's a secret
Secret parking space
I'll be parking my car there
In the morning, in the early hours I wait
Hoping for it
’Cause I want to park there more

I want to park there
I want to find a space
I want to park there more
I drive from Claremont
I don't have time to waste
I want to park there more

I am reaching for the highest goal
That I might receive the prize
Pushing onward, pushing other people aside
Out of my way
’Cause I want to park there more

I want to park there
I want to find a space
I want to park there more
I fought the highway
I don't have time to race
I want to park there more

I want to park there more

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...